SDG&E Activates Reduce Your Use REWARDS Program Tomorrow, August 31
Customers are encouraged to save energy to earn a bill credit
SDG&E has called a Reduce Your Use Rewards event for tomorrow, Thursday, Aug. 31, due to continued hot weather throughout the region causing a rise in electric demand. To reduce strain on the electric grid, we’re encouraging customers to reduce their energy use tomorrow between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. If you’re not on the Reduce Your Use rewards program, it’s not too late to join.
By doing so, customers will be eligible to earn a bill credit of $.75 per kilowatt hour saved or $1.25 credit per kilowatt hour saved with enabling technology, like a smart thermostat.
While we’ve secured sufficient electricity supplies and do not anticipate any issues serving the needs of our customers, conditions may change anytime due to unexpected situations that may be out of our control.
Here are some quick tips to help customers save energy at home:
- Use a ceiling or portable fan instead of A/C if possible.
- Central air conditioning is one of the biggest energy users. Try to set your thermostat at 78 degrees when you're home, health permitting.
- Pre-cool your home: Run your A/C early in the morning to pre-you’re your home. Close blinds, shades or drapes to block out the sun's heat.
- Run major appliances early in the morning or late at night.
- Power down equipment. Unplug TV, cable, DVD or gaming devices when idle, or use a smart power strip.
- Turn off pool pumps between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
How much do you need to save to earn a bill credit?
We will look at your last five days of electricity use before a Reduce Your Use Rewards day and takes an average from the three highest-use days. Electric consumption must be below that average to earn a credit. Log-on to My Account to see your average and how much you’ll need to save to earn a bill credit. Visit sdge.com/reduceuse for information on how to sign up for the program.